Chicago Aquatic Plant Society Wabi-Kusa Contest Guide 2017
Submission Guidelines & Contest Details
-All entries are due Nov 20th 2017. One submission per person only.
-Submit up to three photos of your Wabi-Kusa along with a completed photo release form via email to: email@example.com
-Download a copy of the photo release here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1K5a_tsxgoonaHsIYcuu4aUPrQQDFeCP0blURT-I0zjs/edit?usp=sharing
-Please submit your email entry with the subject line: (Entrants Name) Wabi-Kusa Contest -Photos may be adjusted for color correction, brightness, cropping. No other alterations
-A Kids Category is for entrants up to age 12. If submitting for the Kids Category, please specify this in the submission email.
-Results will be announced at the Chicago Aquatic Plant Society December Year End Party and on the CAPS Facebook page. More info on the Party will be announced at a later date. You do not need to be present to win.
Winner of the Adult category: $100.00 Cash and Commemorative Award
Winner of the Kids category (up to age 12): $50.00 Cash and Commemorative Award
Judging and Criteria:
Judges will consist of the Chicago Aquatic Plant Society Executive Board. Judges will not be allowed to participate as a contestant. Judges will not know the names of the entrants until the judging is complete. The contestant with the highest total points based on the point system outlined below will be the winner. Adult and Kids categories will be judged using the same point system.
A Wabi-kusa is defined here as a layout of emersed grown, or partially emersed grown aquatic plants. The Wabi-kusa evaluation will also consider any hardscape or container features incorporated into the layout. Any entry deemed by more than one judge to not meet the broad definition presented shall be disqualified.
Points shall be awarded to each entry for the following categories:
- Health and Condition: 0-30pts
- Are plants in the layout healthy and free from any undesirable algae or fungal growth?
- If any animals are incorporated in the layout, are they healthy and in a suitable environment to be maintained long term?
- Technical Skill: 0-10pts
- Has the artist demonstrated technical skill in the layout through the use of plant arrangement, colors, textures, hardscape, husbandry techniques, and photography?
- Natural Impression: 0-10pts
- Does the layout present a natural atmosphere, and is it matured to completeness?
- Overall Impression and Creativity: 0-10pts
- How does the layout appear as a whole including all elements in the photograph?
- Has the artist presented a layout that is unique or especially creative?
CAPS – SWAP TABLE – SUNDAY Oct 1st
The Chicago Aquatic Plant Society will have a table at the upcoming Greater Chicago Cichlid Association Swap on Sunday Oct 1st to raise funds for the organization. We will be selling hobbyist-grown plants from easy-to- grow to specialty aquatic plants for aquascaping. We will also have some mopani and manzanita wood for sale. The swap is at the Marriott Hoffman Estates, 4800 Hoffman Boulevard Hoffman Estates, IL. 60192. It is Sunday Oct 1st starting at 10:00 am. More info about the swap can be found at http://www.gcca.net/ The swap meets have been our primary fundraising activity, but we need our members help by DONATING PLANTS and coming out to support CAPS. So if you are interested in donating hold off on trimming your plants, we will be collecting them starting the week of Sept 25th.